The sky is falling! Actually, it’s not that bad. Facebook is just making changes to the News Feed functionality and design. Although Facebook makes lots of updates, this time you should probably pay attention. Learn what the latest Facebook changes mean for your business. Otherwise, your brand may fall out of your clients’ news feed. And that means you’ll be out of sight AND out of mind.
- Rich Stories – will display photos and videos more prominently, placing more emphasis on visual content.
- Choice of Feeds – will give users more control over stories they see.
So, what do the latest Facebook changes mean for your business?
- Your audience can choose to tune out content from your business.
- Even if a client ‘Likes’ your page, they can still tune you out by looking at their ‘All Friends Feed.’
- The only way your content will get into the ‘All Friends Feed’ is if a user’s friends share content from your page.
More importantly, what should you do about it?
- You must incentivize fans to check out their ‘Following Feed’ so they see your content and engage with it via likes, comments, and shares, enabling YOU to show up in the ‘All Friends Feed!’
- Now it’s even more critical to post content that’s compelling and sharable.
- Start using Facebook to promote public-facing content – like your BLOG content!
- Emphasize visual content – use more photos, videos and infographics on your page.
- Get a kick ass Cover Photo because it will now get pulled into the News Feed.
- Publish content consistently so users who check out their ‘Following Feed’ will always see YOUR stories near the top of their feed!
If you want to read an exhaustive list of changes, or learn how you can advertise via Facebook, check out Mashable’s write-up HERE and TechCrunch’s review HERE.
About the Author
Rachel LaCour Niesen is co-founder and Chief Ideation Officer of MatchStick Strategies. Find more musings from Rachel on Twitter, Facebook and Pinterest.