Our feeds (and yours too) have been abuzz with news of recent Facebook updates. But of all of those updates, there’s one that we’re especially excited about.
Facebook hashtags are clickable.
Yep, they finally do more than just give me a headache. And all I can say is, “It’s about freaking time!”
You can now:
• Search for a specific hashtag from your search bar. For example, #wedding.
• Click on hashtags that originate on other services, such as Instagram.
• Compose posts directly from the hashtag feed and search results.
Why are we so excited about this update? Facebook Hashtags have made it easier to bring strangers together because of a common interest, and not just a common connection.
As a professional photographer who needs to market your business, Facebook Hashtags give you a way to:
• Share your content with strangers who will find it relevant
• Engage in conversations with strangers who are actually interested
• Gather information about your target audience
Ready to start using hashtags in your Facebook marketing?
Here are three questions to ask:
1. Which hashtag(s) is your audience searching?
2. Which of these hashtags relate to content you’re offering as well as products or services you’re selling?
3. How can you add value to conversations surrounding these terms?
Stay tuned for more useful Facebook updates that aim to help people discover and engage in public conversations. What are some ways you’ll use Facebook Hashtags in your marketing?
About the Author:
Elizabeth Ippolito is co-founder and Chief Strategy Officer of Plume & Post. Find more musings from Elizabeth on Twitter, Facebook and Pinterest.