Pricing and Packaging. It’s no one’s favorite topic, but it’s so very important. There is a science to pricing yourself as a photographer, and getting it right can make a huge difference in your bookings and revenue!
The first decision every photographer should consider is whether to price based on a Package method or an A La Carte method. Both have advantages, and can be used effectively to present your services. Packages give the client more guidance on your suggested services, while A La Carte gives them more freedom and flexibility. Packages can be easier to book and manage, but A La Carte can have a lot more profit potential. Either way you go, you should pick a pricing method that fits your personality and sales style. In the end, every person has a unique way that they “sell”, and finding the pricing method that lines up best is essential.
Four Keys for Successful Packages:
- Pick the Correct Starting Price
- Have the Right Jump in Prices
- Carefully place your “Must Haves”
- All Roads should lead to the Middle Package
For Keys for A La Carte Pricing:
- Pick the Correct Starting Price
- Make each offering Uniquely Attractive
- Create Ease and Flexibility
- Have built-in Touchpoints
Tips for Determining Your Start Price:
- Evaluate your market. Most choose to focus on their local market, and the specific place you are has a lot to do with what the market will bear.
- Evaluate your ideal market. You need to choose a starting price that will allow you to succeed and sell at the value you’re worth. You’re starting price is not only an indicator of the market you want to service, but it also is a huge factor in selling your higher packages.
- Know what your products and services are worth. Pick a starting price that’s too low, and clients won’t see the value in your higher packages. Pick a starting price that’s too high, and you’ll turn away clients from even meeting with you. In the end, you need to pick a Starting Price that is indicative of the work you provide and the clientele you want to work with.
- Remove confusion for your clients. Confusion is the #1 reason that clients don’t book! Clients aren’t experienced in the wedding or portrait world, and often times we confuse them when we present too many options, or use industry jargon that doesn’t make sense. We’ll force them to make too many decisions, and so they’ll go elsewhere. Remove confusion, and you’re well on your way to increased bookings!
For this week ONLY, you can download my Pricing and Packaging presentation from Pictage’s Partner Con 2010 FREE! This will be FREE through Friday only…. Use coupon code “pictagepartnercon” at checkout. To download, go to: http://baumanresources.com/?page_id=179 and scroll down to Full Length Videos. Please note it may take a few hours to receive your download.
Written by Jared Bauman
Jared Bauman is a San Diego based photographer who has been touring the country speaking at Pictage User Groups and teaching on the business of photography in his PREVAIL Workshop.
Jared’s last PREVAIL workshop is next week (New York City), and there is still space available!!! If you want help with your Pricing and Packaging, the PREVAIL workshop will get you on track and give you hours of detailed information! Use the coupon code “pug” to receive a 33% discount! More information: http://www.prevailworkshop.com